Thursday, October 29, 2009


Mindlessness again!
How many times this week can I use the word "mindless"?  Today I had a friend call and leave me a message inviting me to a Halloween party at a bar.  What I have found of the 20-30s Christians in Chicago is the blending of culture with Christianity.  I moved to The City to have more options to do for entertainment, food, fun, education, and diversity.  Mindlessness allows us to not even think about what we are going to do, but return to doing the same thing over and over again not requiring much thought.  It requires a mind to come up with something creative, thought provoking, new experiences in this world.  What new lessons are there in doing the same thing over and over again?  There are so many things to do on Saturday.  Parades, haunted houses, haunted trails, haunted sanitariums, Cultural Center Halloween fun, pumpkin carving and costume contests at Daley Plaza, ship rides with scary stories, a documentary of a haunted house at the IMAX at Navy Pier, etc.  These things seem so exciting to me that the last place of interest to me is a bar.  I HAVE tasted and seen the goodness of the Lord.  That lifestyle no longer has any illure to it. 

"For you have been taught, to put off your former ways, that have corrupted you with deceitful desires, being made new in attitude, putting on the new self, to be the person God created you in holiness and righteousness."  Ephesians 4:22-24?
Deceitful indeed!  The bar is one of the most deceitful places I know.  Deceitful because they deceive.  Bars are only about outward appearance.  Beauty is fleeting, and why do so many think there is a correlation between beauty and who the person is? If there's no attraction to the person you find something wrong with them a lot sooner, but when they are "cute" things slide.  And why is that girls think they can find an honest guy at the bar?  He's watching how much she is drinking and calculating whether or not she has had enough that he might be able to take advantage of her  Don't believe me.  Truth be told when abstinence is practiced, and you can watch them flee.  They aren't interested in her in the least.  Prostitutes have more sense!  At least they charge for being used, and at that they are the most underpaid profession.  A guy should pay big time for this service.  How about with a diamond ring?  But how much more mindless can we get?

I give up my battle with the bars.  Do what they are gonna do.  May the spirit touch and convict them all as he has me.  May he do it quickly before greater destruction comes about!