Friday, October 30, 2009


The Parable of the Great Movie!!!
The Parable of the Great Banquet
16Jesus replied: "A certain man was preparing a great banquet and invited many guests. 17At the time of the banquet he sent his servant to tell those who had been invited, 'Come, for everything is now ready.'
 18"But they all alike began to make excuses. The first said, 'I have just bought a field, and I must go and see it. Please excuse me.'
 19"Another said, 'I have just bought five yoke of oxen, and I'm on my way to try them out. Please excuse me.'
 20"Still another said, 'I just got married, so I can't come.'
 21"The servant came back and reported this to his master. Then the owner of the house became angry and ordered his servant, 'Go out quickly into the streets and alleys of the town and bring in the poor, the crippled, the blind and the lame.'
 22" 'Sir,' the servant said, 'what you ordered has been done, but there is still room.'
 23"Then the master told his servant, 'Go out to the roads and country lanes and make them come in, so that my house will be full. 24I tell you, not one of those men who were invited will get a taste of my banquet.' "
I read this passage a few days ago, and was thinking about how this relates to this world today.  So so applicable.  I don't know how many times over the past 10 years inwhich I have made friends with people who are so so lonely in this world.  People who are so caught up in their own worlds and busy lives that they don't stop to think about those who may not have busy lives.  Those who seek to have fellowship.  Those who are lonely, depressed, despair, need relationships etc.  Perhaps the man who had the field to see could have gone to the banquet and instead seen the field later.  The oxen will still be there after the banquet is over.  If you just were married bring your wife or husband.  In the end the most appreciative person is the one who can not afford or prepare a meal like this for themselves.

I have noticed since my move to Chicago the increased fast paced life here.  Many things to do and many friendships stretched.  When it comes time to hanging out I am lucky to get 1 in 10 people to hang out.  It's difficult to consistently hang out with people and build deeper relationships with them.  I take nothing personal, but I have had a friend that does take things like this seriously.  So I have created my own parable with the moral of the story being a person who needs a friend. 

The Parable of the Great Movie

A certain woman wanted to go and see a movie and invited 10 guests.  She sent out text messages asking if they would like to accompany  her to the movie.

But they all made excuses.  The first one said,  "My boyfriend's mom just arrived in town!"

Another said, "I can't, but let me know how it is, I am curious!"

Still another, "Thanks, but I have a baby shower tonight!"

Yet another, "I have a party tonight.  You're welcome to come, but it is at a bar and there will be drinking!"  Knowing that this lifestyle goes against the woman's moral values.

Another replied, "That movie doesn't sound interesting to me!"

Another 3 didn't respond to the message at all.

So the woman invited the person who had ended a relationship and needed a friend the most.  The person was obliged to accept the offer.

I take none of the responses personally.  We all have done this to another in some way, but are we really aware of how caught up we get in life, and which relationships are suffering as a result.  This happens to so many people that NEED the Lord, and if we should reach out to them and be the friend they need on Friday nights they may find him.  Do we know which of our activities are purposeful and which are self-indulging?  How can we be more aware of the invitations we may be rejecting?  Are there ways to put that person before our own agenda
?